Intro: Since Alex is being baptized today I will jump ahead in our series in Acts to pickup on a text that fits the occasion. I also thought of a theme suggestive of our younger people, the theme from Star Wars, “The Force”.
“The Force”, a term from Star Wars I believe, crops up in usage here and again. “The Force” in the movie stood for a kind of impersonal god of good and right to which aided in the fight against evil in the empire. A mysterious power at work in believers who were good.
I suppose in one way or another every child, boy anyway, has dreamed of a force that would make him invincible. An invisible shield that would ward off any attack or an endowment of superhuman strength.
There is a great force available to us today. An invincible shield of protection. A power to protect us. Although it is not often thought of in that way, salvation is power.
A. Romans 1:16
... it is the power of God ...
1. “POWER” dunamis, doo'-nam-is, Greek 1411; from Greek 1410 (dunamai); force (literal or figurative); specially miraculous power (usually by implication a miracle itself) :- ability, abundance, meaning, might (-ily, -y, -y deed), (worker of) miracle (-s), power, strength, violence, might (wonderful) work.
2. A power a real as dynamite
B. Power to protect from Divine Judgment
1. From Accusations of others
... Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? ...
A. Romans 1:16
... of everyone who believes: ...
1. It is a message
... message ... power of God.
2. The message must be believed to be in FORCE
3. “Believe” includes Knowing the gospel, accepting it as true and placing your trust in it.
4. The evidence is obeying.
5. 3000 responded and obeyed to Peters message
6. Peter spoke of Jesus death, burial and resurrection
... men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross.  But God raised him from the dead, ...
God has raised this Jesus to life, ...
B. People impressed with works, deeds and accomplishments
1. Most see salvation as a scale. Tip the scale on the good side in your favor and you are saved
2. Or they seen believing on one side falling short being compensated by works.
C. Remember the blood on the doorposts in Egypt
1. How good were the people inside?
2. “Force” of their faith and obedience of faith was great enough to ward off God’s Own Messenger of Death.
A. It is like painting blood on the door posts. Like boarding the Ark. It is the an important response of faith.
...Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus ...
... accepted his message were baptized,...
... believed Philip ... they were baptized, both men and women.
... told him the good news ... and the eunuch said, "Look, here is water. Why shouldn't I be baptized?"
... went down into the water and Philip baptized him.
"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water?...
... opened her heart to respond to Paul's message.  When she and the members of her household were baptized,...
... "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." ... all his family were baptized.
Crispus, the synagogue ruler, and his entire household believed ... many of the Corinthians ... were baptized.
... believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus."... they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 22:14-16 (to Paul)
... And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized ...